Thursday, October 29, 2009

Cordially, Cara


Please join me in welcoming a new talent to our Romantic pages,
Miss Cara Lehocki.
Comin' at you from the East Coast (N-B, to be particular) Cara brings us a healthy dose of reason in the crazy world of DIY beauty.

A fringe to Cringe at-how NOT to cut your bangs
By Cara Lehocki

Lets forget about getting ready for a moment and remember something a little more crucial...how not to get ready, or in this specific case how not to cut your own fringe. Yes I admit this is not the first time I thought myself to be a talented hair cutter, there was that time in kindergarten, oh and grade 2.. and who can forget the 6th grade bang catastrophe...

And yet, here I am, all grown up, a mature university student...
who has yet to learn her lesson.

Living in a small town, I often find myself utterly bored and to say the least “city-sick”. The options on how to spend a Friday night are....well, less than inspiring, and one must learn to be resourceful in times of drought! Which is why I had the brilliant idea of cutting myself a stylin' straight across fringe. Right? Wrong!

I did my research (a few less than helpful YouTube videos posted by less than helpful girls who also had nothing to do on a Friday night). Borrowed someone’s scissors (which only now I realize may not have been actual hair-cutting scissors) took a long sip of red wine, held my breath and began to cut.

Where did I go wrong?
Let’s just say I did a better job in kindergarten at sculpting the perfect fringe then I did at 21 years old.

Here are some helpful hints if you ever dare to go where only professionally trained hairdressers should go....or if you have a steadier hand then yours truly.

Number one: Iris to Iris!!!! I repeat do NOT cut more hair in front of you face if it is on the OUTSIDE of your eyeballs irises. If one forgets this rule you may end up with what I like to call a “half head fringe”.
Or you could just come out looking like a bowl cut monk.

Number two: make sure hair is dry, not wet, while you are cutting - otherwise they will shrink up after they dry- ew.




Number three: Cut up. What I mean by this is after you make the initial chop at the length you so desire, remember to cut the ends of your hair with the scissors pointing up to the ceiling. This will help them look softer and more natural, unless of course you want the very blunt look which is also quite lovely.

Number four: most importantly one must remember that when they are done they are done! That means put the scissors down and leave them alone! I know the temptation to keep cutting is strong but believe me you will regret it when you cut more off than you were planning.

Lastly remember that it is only hair it will grow out. You can always pin them back if things really get out of hand!

Happy chopping!
Cara



No comments:

Post a Comment